Lilypie First Birthday tickers

2013

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Introducing Mr. Bennett

He has finally arrived, and I must say, he really is our little lovebug.  Blake and I are completely smitten with him and are so glad that he arrived healthy and happy.  Mom is doing fine too, trying to take as many naps as possible, and enjoy our last few days in SC (wow, I also can't believe I can actually type that now).

Bennett Stanley was born on April 14, 2012 at 6:05 in the morning.  Blake said that I planned the birth around my food mood since I the body doesn't usually plan to eat after dinner until breakfast, and that's exactly when we were at the hospital with no food!  On Friday night, we ate dinner at home and then went to the hospital.  There was no way I was going to go without eating the delicious salmon that Blake and I had grilled, especially knowing that once we got there, I was no longer going to be able to eat anything.  I had also heard that perhaps I wasn't going to be able to drink anything except ice chips, but luckily, that wasn't the case.

We checked into the hospital, and they made sure that I was actually in labor.  The attending Dr. stated after feeling my belly that she guessed he would be around 6lbs 10oz, which is less than Allison, our midwife guessed (7lbs, 3oz).  We made our way into the room we'd be staying in.  I decided to get an epidural since I wasn't progressing as fast as I hoped and wanted to get some sleep.  Blake and I did manage to get some sleep, we called Allison when it was about time, but she was unable to make it.  At 6:05 am, Bennett joined us in the world.  When he came at 8lbs, 10oz, I couldn't believe it.  The only small hiccup that there was in the whole birth is that Blake got a little light headed from not eating, and had to take a little break to eat one of the Luna Bars that I had thankfully packed into our bag.  Even while he was chowing down he was the best coach ever.

I was eating breakfast by 7, which was great because I was absolutely starving!  We were moved into the post-pardum room once I could feel my legs again, and were able to relax as a family of 3.  I don't know what we did in those hours, but they seemed to rush by.  Matt and Steph came to visit us in the afternoon, and the boys went on a hunt for milkshakes.  The hospital didn't have any, so they walked down the street to Hardee's and got some delicious milkshakes for the room, it may have been one of the best ever!  That night they came to take Bennett to the nursery to have all of this tests done, this let Mom and Dad get some sleep.  All of his tests came back great, although he was not a fan that they had to keep pricking his poor little foot to get his blood sugar test since he was considered large for his gesticular age.  By Sunday afternoon we were ready to go home.  I couldn't imagine staying in that hospital bed, and not being able to see trees, my bed, or my own shower one more day.  Well, that and the food at the hospital was horrible, it was the same company of food we had in college, the menu even looked the same, and I just couldn't imagine eating one more thing from it.  We finally got to go home around 3.

Blake brought the car around and off we went.  Our first few days at home have been a learning experience, but a great one!  Bennett has a bit of jaundice so we have been to the dr a few times to get that checked, but it seems to be getting better now that he has more to eat.  He is sleeping as well as one can hope and we are definitely trying to fit in as many naps for the parents as possible.  Blake has been great on diaper duty, but little B hates to be cold!  We think he may think that all dad does is freeze him and make him get naked, only to be given to mom to eat! :)

Our friends here have been wonderful, we are truly blessed to have made such great friends when we have been in SC.  Matt and Steph came over before we got home, dropped off dinner and did our dishes, simply amazing, we can't thank them enough for having food to eat.  We have lasagnas, and mini meatloaves, and people are still offering, we are very lucky.  Also, Auntie Caitlin and Uncle Justin were visiting Justin's parents in NC and made the trip down to meet Bennett.  He was so thrilled with his first out of town guests, and LOVED meeting his first 221 Auntie (and Uncle).  I also got to indulge in sushi for the first time since August, it really was everything I'd hoped it would be.

So far, B is a content and happy baby, we have figured out that he doesn't like certain surfaces, and he LOVES his bouncy chair, it has been a life saver a few times at night.

And now, the main attraction himself (and some other pictures)..

 Off we go!
Getting settled into the room
 Dad during the epidural (yes, they force the men to sit down since so many of them  have fainted)
The scary instruments
First family photo
 Dad getting ready to leave (I wonder if we brought enough stuff...)
Mom and Bennett getting out of the hospital!
 Under the heat lamps
Picture Day (4 days old)

We are so blessed to have this little guy in our lives, and so far, it's the best thing we've done.  I can't wait to see how our adventure keeps unfolding.

No comments:

Post a Comment